Just FYI, not sure if a resolution
to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ossec-list/dE3klm84JMU/kGZkRdSl3ZkJ
has been put in place or not but it is occurring in v2.9.2 - I received an
email alert (can post the text if it would be helpful).

Related to this, I noticed that the alert level is 2, it appears that the
only place to set alert levels is in ossec.conf on the server or 'local'
(it is configured on the server as the
default: <email_alert_level>7</email_alert_level>).

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that a local install was one where the
server managed only itself but can't find that reference now, is that
correct?

The other option is to configure the system as hybrid, if that would allow
the notification to be suppressed (and the implications of the change
weren't too great), I would be glad to configure it that way if someone
could point me to instructions on how to do so.

Thanks for the help, my learning curve at this point is pretty steep.