Hi Everyone,

After messing around with my OSSEC setup (version 2.9.2, manager and two
agents) I got an error like the following for every rootcheck file:

> 2017/09/17 10:24:35 ossec-agentd: ERROR: Unable to unmerge file '/etc/shared
system_audit_rcl.txt'.

Research this a bit, I found issue 869 on Github[1], which suggests to change
the permissions to 0640 (user root, group ossec), but in my case they are
already like that .

> -rw-r--r-- 1 ossec ossec   2997 Sep 17 10:54 agent.conf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ossec ossec    169 Sep 17 10:54 ar.conf
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  12262 Sep 16 22:01 cis_debian_linux_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  35576 Sep 16 22:01 cis_rhel5_linux_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  33665 Sep 16 22:01 cis_rhel6_linux_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  37026 Sep 16 22:01 cis_rhel7_linux_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  17459 Sep 16 22:01 cis_rhel_linux_rcl.txt
> -rw-r--r-- 1 ossec ossec 179331 Sep 17 10:54 merged.mg
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec  16120 Sep 16 22:01 rootkit_files.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec   5479 Sep 16 22:01 rootkit_trojans.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec   4233 Sep 16 22:01 system_audit_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec   4904 Sep 16 22:01 win_applications_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec   4007 Sep 16 22:01 win_audit_rcl.txt
> -rw-r----- 1 root  ossec   5090 Sep 16 22:01 win_malware_rcl.txt

Then I found out that ossec-agentd runs as user "ossec" and after changing the
owner of the above files from root to ossec it seems to work again (at least
there are no errors in the log and the changed time of the files is updated).

Question: Should ossec-agentd run as root instead or should the owner of those
files be "ossec" or anything else (e.g. possible problems with my setup).

Thanks,
Tobias Margiani

[1] https://github.com/ossec/ossec-hids/issues/869