The latest: 2.9.3. Is this too new? I've noticed discrepancies between tis
version and some of the docs. Is there a specific version number that is
'easiest to use'?

Also, there are additional instructions
at
http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manual/installation/installation-binary.html

and in the INSTALL file in the root directory it has addition instructions
(presumable last updated for 2.9.2) for a binary installation under 'By
Hand Installation', but I have not done any of those things. Just make
TARGET=server SETMAXAGENTS=n.

--

---