Hi,

The configuration parser allows multiple definitions of <syscheck>. OSSEC
reads the *ossec.conf* file first, and then *agent.conf* (only in agents).

The <directories> option is aggregable so all directories specified will be
monitored. On the other hand, value-based options (like <frequency>) are
overwritten. So the option

<frequency>120</frequency>

Is applying. The Syscheck frequency is not accurate with low intervals.

This is because Syscheck performs some delays in order to guarantee a
low-performance impact. After performing a complete scan, it makes a pause
depending on the configuration:

   - If any directory has been set for real-time monitoring, Syscheck waits
   for 5 minutes until any file changes. After reporting all the files
   changed, it will wait for 5 minutes while it's not the time to perform a
   new complete scan.
   - If real-time was not enabled for any directory, Syscheck sleeps for 5
   minutes.

This value of 5 minutes is not configurable in OSSEC.

You surely have not enabled real-time, so the frequency of 120 seconds is
applying. However, the application is sleeping for 5 minutes between a scan
ending and the beginning of the next one.

If you use higher values like 20 and 10 minutes, you'll be able to see that
the last <frequency> option always applies.

Hope it help.

Best regards,

<https://wazuh.com/>
*Victor M Fernandez-Castro*