Hi all

I'm trying to connect several ossec agents to an ossec server over the
internet and without vpn tunnels. This means, IPs get transformed because
of NAT. This is not a problem for agent-to-server communication, since I
can register each agent with source ip "any" and all packets go to the same
server. However, it seems that the server tries to respond to some of the
udp packets.

Here an example on what I see with tcpdump on the firewall at the ossec
server site:

15:54:57.839960 IP [PUBLIC-IP-CLIENT-SITE].50497 >
[PUBLIC-IP-SERVER-SITE].1514: UDP, length 158
15:54:57.841374 IP [PUBLIC-IP-SERVER-SITE].1514 >
[PUBLIC-IP-CLIENT-SITE].50497: UDP, length 73

And that of course doesn't work since the firewall on the client side has
no existing sessions (since protocol is UDP) and even if I allow all
traffic from ossec server to any client, the firewall wouldn't know how to
translate the public IP back to the private since there is no corresponding
session. The obvious solution would be to use TCP but as I read in this
mailing list, you cannot use TCP for agent-to-server communication. Another
solution would be VPN, since I could work without NAT then. But for me this
is not a solution, since some clients are labtops and change their
locations and I also don't want to install a vpn client on labtops since I
have to keep a very small footprint on the clients.

I don't think this is a very special setup and I hope somebody has found a
solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

Andreas