On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Avi Kivity <a...@scylladb.com> wrote:

> On 09/19/2016 11:49 AM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM, Gleb Natapov <g...@scylladb.com> wrote:
>

>> > 2. I'm afraid the scheduler thing might only be the tip of the iceberg
>> of
>> > problems caused by this lazy TLB thing. Could we have, for example (and
>> > this is just a hypothetical example) one thread doing a write() to disk
>> of
>> > some data from an mmap'ed area, and this data is supposed to be read by
>> > ZFS thread which runs on a different CPU - and because it is labeled a
>> > "system thread", it won't do a TLB flush before reading the mmap'ed
>> area?
>> write() copies data into ZFS ARC.
>>

>> > Why are we confident that "system threads" never need to read user's
>> > mmap'ed data?
>> >
>> If they do this is a bug as you discovered. They may access mmaped
>> memory, but they should do so through their own mappings.
>

> So basically, "system threads" (and the scheduler) are not allowed to read
> any user memory, because any user memory may be mmap'ed.
> Whatever user memory is needed in a system thread, must first be *copied*
> in the original user thread...
>

> Or, the mapping must be pinned (and paged in) for the duration of the
> access.

So if I understand correctly, both your and Gleb's sentiment is there is no
need not to make the scheduler more forgiving for page table changes, but
rather require that sched::threads objects live in a mapping which could
never change - which more-or-less means in the OSv case, that sched::thread
objects should be allocated only on the heap.

So a patch which will enforce sched::thread to be allocated only on the
heap is the right way to go here? (I sent such a patch already, but I'll
try to send a slightly less ugly one. In any case it will be a long patch).

By the way, it is obvious that a sched::thread cannot live in a paged-out
mapping, as the scheduler cannot sleep to wait for it. But the issue here
is more subtle: stack memory is guaranteed to be always paged in (for
reasons explained here https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/issues/143)
- and nontheless, it is still not fine to put a sched::thread there because
of the TLB flushing issue.