On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Waldek Kozaczuk <jwkozac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I believe at some point somebody started reorganizing java folder content
> to move it to modules/java and modules/java-tests but it was never
> completed.

Indeed. The comment in commit df0fd92cc3a713f11874af369eb5f54c560d8b1f and
"TODO" in Makefile make this intention clear.

> I am willing to finish this process but I would like a little bit of
> guidance as far as:
> - possible major challenges to such restructuring (somebody stated that
> changing Makefile might be most challenging)
> - elimination of possible dead code (for example so called ballooning was
> disabled in java.cc and there seems to be a lot of relevant C++ and Java
> code to support it)
> - what to avoid
> - general guidelines

One thing we need to do is to move the java-targets, java, jdk, etc., stuff
out of the main Makefile and into modules/java/Makefile.
The challenge here is to get the right compilation line with the OSv
headers. You can take examples from other modules like modules/tests, which
also uses OSv headers.

Second thing it would be nice to figure out is if we can get rid of the
"jdkbase" setting in Makefile and build/script. For example, perhaps the
"java" module can set up a link in its own directory, and the modules
requiring the java module can just use that link.

After both changes, grepping for "java" or "jdk" should come up empty.

Finally it would be nice to move the remaining stuff in java/ to
modules/java.

Commit d9a7eba6e3f0a92074b579c0c181663e6c1d5e46 also points out that the
modules/java/Makefile currently runs "maven" to compile a lot of Java code
which isn't actually needed by all Java applications but just with some
specific modules (e.g., jolokia-agent); We could move some of this
compilation to the modules that needed them. I was always too afraid of
Maven to actually go ahead and do this :-)

Finally, please do not remove the Balloon stuff. I just added a bug-tracker
issue that one day we need to bring it back - it was a nice feature, and
unique to OSv (and we even explained it in the OSv paper). So I'd like to
continue compiling it, even if it is currently disabled.

Thanks,
Nadav.