On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Benoît Canet <ben...@cloudius-systems.com>
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> In the process of porting go to OSv I noticed that the Go runtime
> initialization stall half the time waiting in a read for /dev/urandom.
>
> The message OSv output is "random: blocking on read.".
>
> It then sometime proceeed to unblock itself a couple dozen of seconds
> later.
>
> Does it ring a bell ? Is it expected behavior from /dev/urandom ?

manpage:
"A read from the /dev/urandom device will not block waiting for more
entropy.  If there is not sufficient entropy, a pseudorandom number
generator is used to  create the  requested  bytes.   As  a result, in this
case the returned values are theoretically vulnerable to a cryptographic
attack on the algorithms used by the driver."

In our impl, /dev/urandom and /dev/random are both pointing to the same
mechanism to generate random numbers, and that means they both can block.
We should probably look into doing something for /dev/urandom to match the
behavior described above.