Good news -- some of the code I was hoping to build just came out, and
since I didn't write it, it's actually pretty good :D

https://github.com/Intoli/exodus

or:

pip install exodus-bundler

Run:

exodus ssh -t | tar xz

And you get a self contained binary distributon, for most things short of
maybe browsers.  Launch point is at:

./exodus/bin/ssh

Downside:  You don't get an elf executable.  You get:

#! /bin/bash

current_directory="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
lib_directory="${current_directory}/../lib/"
linker="${lib_directory}/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2"
executable="${current_directory}/ssh"
exec "${linker}" --library-path "${lib_directory}" --inhibit-rpath ""
"${executable}" "$@"

That's where I hit my wall, but it seems pretty much a bullseye on your
wheelhouse.  Suggestions?

--Dan