Hello,

I'm currently working on some simple Python wrappers around some OTB
modules and got some strange results when trying to use
the connected components application to vectorize a binary image.

Using...

subprocess.call([otbpath + "/otbcli_ConnectedComponentSegmentation",
 "-in", inputimage,
 "-expr", "distance<1",
 "-minsize", str(minsize),
 "-out", output_shapefile])

... I get the attached results with strong artefacts at what seems to be the
borders between individually process strips. Furthermore, the application also
seems to have the undocumented feature to abstract the polygons.

As an alternative I tried to use otbcli_Segmentation which provides the
expected result (see attached as well) but unfortunately takes > 6h on a
10000x10000 image.

subprocess.call([otbpath + "/otbcli_Segmentation",
 "-in", inputimage,
 "-filter", "cc",
 "-filter.cc.expr", "distance<1",
 "-mode", "vector",
 "-mode.vector.minsize", str(minsize),
 "-mode.vector.out", output_shapefile,
 "-mode.vector.tilesize", str(4096)])

Since such type of vectorization seems like a common task I wonder if anybody
came across such issues before and has solved it?

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
André

Check the OTB FAQ at
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/FAQ.html