Barrett,
Have you worked with OT's before? I am curious to know about the settings,
etc. and if you all collaborated goals and tx. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Carson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 8:18 AM
To: Lehman, David
Subject: Re: [OTnow] FW: PTHER: Re: PT/OT Who does what and why?


Hello Barrett et. al.

Thanks for writing the below message and for giving David permission to post
it  on  the  list  And, welcome to the OTnow list. I want to address some of
your comments.


> PT  focuses on nurturing and healing while OT emphasizes activity that can
> only occur once survival is insured

Perhaps  the  first thing to do with the above statement is to operationally
define 'survival'. A brief look in the dictionary shows several meanings for
'survive   including:   "To   remain   functional   or   usable".   [source:
www.dictionary.com]

As an OT, I know that occupation is crucial to survival. Without occupation,
people  have  little  semblance of a quality life or a desire to continue to
live.  In fact, your castway example points to our need for occupation if we
are  to  survive.  In  your  example,  here's a list of occupations that the
actore portrays:

1. Eating

2. Cooking

3. Self-expression

4. Meal preparation

5. Home (in this case his basic shelter)maintenance

The  character successfully participates in these occupations through direct
engagement  and learned adaptation. Had the character been unable to perform
any of these occupations, his survival (as it relates to his existence)would
be in doubt.

At  this point Barrett, I need to ask if you understand occupation? I do not
want  to  be demeaning but many, many people do not understand occupation as
it relates to our professions foundations and practice.

I am running short on time and need to go. I look forward to this topic!

Ron


=================================================
Monday, November 24, 2003, 10:41:17 AM, you wrote:

LD> I have been given permission to bring this analogy of PT/OT to the
LD> OTnow list serve by Barrett Dorko, PT... I invite the OT community to
LD> access his readings on numerous topics.

>>David,
>>
>>I thought of something else with regard to this question. I realize to
some
>>it may seem I've got too much time on my hands but I thought I'd post this
>>anyway.
>>
>>It occurs to me that PT focuses on nurturing and healing while OT
>>emphasizes activity that can only occur once survival is insured. The
>>former is characterized by movements designed to strengthen our muscles
and
>>other tissues, the latter by movement that expresses us and reveals our
>>individuality and humanity. Think about it, physical therapy for animals
>>makes some sense. Occupational therapy? I don't think so.
>>
>>It's my contention that both disciplines are essential for human beings
and
>>they emerge quite naturally from us even in the absence of a trained
>>professional. Consider a series of scenes from the movie "Cast Away" used
>>to illustrate my point. (I go to the movies a lot)
>>
>>A man finds himself alone on a Pacific island, his physical resources
>>confined to his own strength and an odd collection of items that have
>>washed up on the beach. While digging out the meat of a coconut (PT), he
>>realizes that the same motion when applied to wood might create enough
heat
>>to start a fire (OT). Injuring his hand in the attempt he races to the
>>ocean and baths his bloody palm in the water (PT). He then discovers that
>>his bloody palm print on a nearby soccer ball can be modified to appear as
>>a face (OT). He then returns to the task of scraping wood against wood,
>>creating smoke but no fire (PT) and turns to speak to the face he's
created
>>(OT-the internal conversation that precedes creative acts) and the fire
>>finally lights. See? Both disciplines emerge from this man and the end
>>result is his survival. I think so anyway. I'm almost sure.
>>
>>At the movie's end the man writes on an unopened package, "This package
>>saved my life." I always ask my classes why. For my answer (not
necessarily
>>the correct one) go to "Why the Movie Cast Away is Precisely About My
Work"
>>at http://www.barrettdorko.com/desk.htm
>>
>>Barrett L. Dorko, P.T.
>><http://barrettdorko.com>

LD> David A. Lehman, PhD, PT
LD> Associate Professor
LD> Tennessee State University
LD> Department of Physical Therapy
LD> 3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
LD> Nashville, TN 37209
LD> 615-963-5946
LD> [EMAIL PROTECTED]




LD> -----Original Message-----
LD> From: Barrett Dorko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
LD> Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 9:35 AM
LD> To: Lehman, David
LD> Subject: RE: PTHER: Re: PT/OT Who does what and why?


LD> Sure. Just let me know what happens.

LD> Thanks,
LD> Barrett


LD> At 09:30 AM 11/24/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>>may I post this on the OTnow list serve!:)
>>
>>David A. Lehman, PhD, PT
>>Associate Professor
>>Tennessee State University
>>Department of Physical Therapy
>>3500 John A. Merritt Blvd.
>>Nashville, TN 37209
>>615-963-5946
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Barrett Dorko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2003 9:36 AM
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: PTHER: Re: PT/OT Who does what and why?
>>
>>
>>David,
>>
>>I thought of something else with regard to this question. I realize to
some
>>it may seem I've got too much time on my hands but I thought I'd post this
>>anyway.
>>
>>It occurs to me that PT focuses on nurturing and healing while OT
>>emphasizes activity that can only occur once survival is insured. The
>>former is characterized by movements designed to strengthen our muscles
and
>>other tissues, the latter by movement that expresses us and reveals our
>>individuality and humanity. Think about it, physical therapy for animals
>>makes some sense. Occupational therapy? I don't think so.
>>
>>It's my contention that both disciplines are essential for human beings
and
>>they emerge quite naturally from us even in the absence of a trained
>>professional. Consider a series of scenes from the movie "Cast Away" used
>>to illustrate my point. (I go to the movies a lot)
>>
>>A man finds himself alone on a Pacific island, his physical resources
>>confined to his own strength and an odd collection of items that have
>>washed up on the beach. While digging out the meat of a coconut (PT), he
>>realizes that the same motion when applied to wood might create enough
heat
>>to start a fire (OT). Injuring his hand in the attempt he races to the
>>ocean and baths his bloody palm in the water (PT). He then discovers that
>>his bloody palm print on a nearby soccer ball can be modified to appear as
>>a face (OT). He then returns to the task of scraping wood against wood,
>>creating smoke but no fire (PT) and turns to speak to the face he's
created
>>(OT-the internal conversation that precedes creative acts) and the fire
>>finally lights. See? Both disciplines emerge from this man and the end
>>result is his survival. I think so anyway. I'm almost sure.
>>
>>At the movie's end the man writes on an unopened package, "This package
>>saved my life." I always ask my classes why. For my answer (not
necessarily
>>the correct one) go to "Why the Movie Cast Away is Precisely About My
Work"
>>at http://www.barrettdorko.com/desk.htm
>>
>>Barrett L. Dorko, P.T.
>><http://barrettdorko.com>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~-->
>>Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
>>Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
>>http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
>>http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/jvSolB/TM
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------~->
>>
>>-
>>To unsubscribe from pther list, just click on this:
>>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


LD> _______________________________________________
LD> To unsubscribe, visit:
LD> http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

LD> The OTnow Mail Archive:
LD> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]


_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================
_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to