Rachelle:

We are always complaining that OT has low visibility, and now that our sister 
profession demonstrates some interest in understanding our profession it seems we are 
unable to handle the attention.  Maybe I am wrong...feel free to correct me if I am.  
I don't know but I thought that the Castaway analogy was positive, and it also 
prevented the discussion from becoming emotional.  It would be helpful if you were to 
state a perspective instead of telling us what you think is wrong with something.

Biraj

"Dorne, Rachelle D." wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I'm very confused.  Why are the PTs interested in ruminating about 
> "occupation" anyway?  What's next?  I've already heard and gagged over the 
> discussion about the Castaway and the ladder.  Talking with PTs about occupation is  
> like discussing peripheral vision with a horse wearing blinders . I frankly take 
> offense at the whole idea of PT attempting to define and explain from their limited 
> perspective key concepts of our OT profession in order to prescribe our roles.  
> Don't you guys have something else to talk about, such as physical therapy concepts 
> and theory? Are you so bored with your own profession that you are looking over 
> fence to see what else you can appropriate and call your own?
> No peace, brothers!
> -----Original Message-----
> From:   Barrett Dorko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent:   Wed 11/26/2003 10:36 AM
> To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc:
> Subject:        Re: [OTnow]  Re: PT/OT Who does what and why?
>
> At 09:18 AM 11/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
> >At  this point Barrett, I need to ask if you understand occupation?
>
> Ron,
>
> Well, I've read through the posts about "occupation" in the archive and can
> say without hesitation that I agree with everybody. Of course, this does
> not mean I actually understand the whole issue or have anything more to
> contribute specifically. I'm only hoping that by saying this that I won't
> be asked to take sides.
>
> Back to the movie. For many (certainly me) one very striking scene is the
> one revealing the transformation of this pudgy, soft, pasty executive into
> a lean, mean fish-spearing machine. Perhaps it's my roots in PT that draws
> my attention. Surely without the effort it took to become like this our
> hero might not have survived, and you get there through repetitive, largely
> mindless work-including what it takes to acquire the spear throwing
> expertise. So I think it's fair to say that the principles of PT assist in
> survival-and here I'm using the "remain alive" definition of the word.
>
> Of course, there's more to life than merely surviving. I feel that when
> this man writes on the package that it "saved my life" he acknowledges the
> gifts occupation offers us. Without the avenues of art all of our strength
> and physical skill means little, and, after all, the man doesn't write
> "This package saved me from starving." PT kept him strong enough to
> survive, OT saved his life. I think many who have received both services
> might agree.
>
> Finally there is this from the OT literature-specifically AJOT 25
> (July-August 1971) "Occupational Therapy-A Historical Perspective Legacy of
> Moral Treatment 1800s-1910" by J. Sanbourne Bockoven: "...occupational
> therapy is based first and foremost upon respect for human individuality
> and on a fundamental perception of the individual's need to engage in
> relation to his fellow man.
>
> To me, this definition doesn't bear much relation to PT as I see it
> practiced today, and that concerns me. I'm grateful that the OTs understand
> its potential and work to make that perception a real part of recovery.
>
> Barrett L. Dorko, P.T.
> <http://barrettdorko.com>
> Also <http://rehabedge.com>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
> The OTnow Mail Archive:
> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ===============================================
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com
>
> The OTnow Mail Archive:
> www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ===============================================



_______________________________________________
To unsubscribe, visit: http://otnow.com/mailman/listinfo/otlist_otnow.com

The OTnow Mail Archive: 
www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
===============================================

Reply via email to