From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com] On Behalf
Of Ron Carson
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:51 AM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: [OTlist] OT's as Teachers: Adult Phy Dys

Do  you  think  of  yourself  as  a  teacher? I do! I say that my job is
"teaching people how to take care of themselves and be productive". FYI,
this   is   an   adaptation   of  the  Canadian  Model  of  Occupational
Performance's  definition  of  occupation. So, think about it, aren't we
really teachers?

Patients  want  to LEARN how to do "things". They want to learn to dress
themselves,  walk  to  the bathroom, clean themselves, get in/out of the
car, cook, clean, etc. If patient's want to learn, then isn't our job to
teach?

At the heart of it, OT's are teachers.

Just some random thoughts before church....

Thanks,

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT