Like many words, occupation has different meanings.  Here's the one that
I use.

         1  a  : an activity in which one engages <pursuing pleasure has
         been his major occupation>

         Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/occupation

A  while  back,  I  wrote  an e-mail to the editors of Merriam_Webster's
dictionary. Here's my message and the reply: