I am in TN and practice as an acute care OT, transitioning from formerly working as a school based therapist. I also teach the patient and family that there are many variables to getting the safest and most useful equipment. I would appreciate suggestions if anyone has any.

At discharge the case manager (who is trained as a nurse) will order the equipment based on suggestions from the therapists that are working with that patient. They must choose a DME company from a list of all the companies in our area, none of the therapists are allowed to suggest one company is better than another. It is explained to me that the insurance will cover the items if they are ordered at the time of discharge, therefore they get the standard bedside commode, rolling walker, or wheelchair. None of the insurances will cover the shower benches or shower seats so the patients family has to look for them on their own or get what the DME company brings when they deliver. If they are elderly (most are) and have other priorities it is not a good system. I have been frustrated by this protocol, it would be so much better to have contact with the home therapist or home evaluation done with each patient. The acute care rehab setting I am with rarely does home evaluations (probably because it takes so much time) only the patient that is going to go home alone may be considered for a home eval. So, I don't think it is always the therapist at the hospital that is to be blamed for a patient's equipment being wrong. Any suggestions? Do other states have other rules?

Barbara Hale, OTR/L