I can say that I have been there too. I work in a very rural town with the
hospital, nursing home, ALF, and outpatients seen basically in the same
clinic area. Needless to say the level of awareness of OT is limited at
best. I can't tell you how many people have introduced me to, or explained
to another that I am an "OT" that works down in "PT". The concept of
anything other than initials is non-existent to most here.

I have been promoting our profession. I scheduled and presented an
in-service to many CNA's, attempting to educate them as to the real role
delineation. Much to my surprise, it was accepted well. I feel a strong
component to enlisting the nursing staff to buy into OT is to sell it as
help to CNA's. I put it this way.We help people become more independent in
their own self care. This way you can let them do these things for
themselves and it will give you more time get someone else ready that needs
more help.

This logic seems to work. Most CNA's seem to be in favor of "lightening
their load". Then, we appear as allies to the "boots on the ground", and
that is not a bad place to start. CNA's have approached me afterwards and
asked what else they could do to help make people more independent.
Sneaky...but it worked.

Anyway, hang in there OT's and continue to plunge your sword of
determination into the heart of ignorance!

Michael A. Holmes MSOTR/L

North Valley Health and Rehabilitation

203 S. Western Ave.

Tonasket,WA 98855