Joan:

I  like your statement of expertise. I fits well with something that I
occasionally  use.  Sometimes, I describe OT as being a bridge builder
between  what  patients want to do and what they are currently able to
do.  I  sort  of  use  this idea when deciding if a treatment is OT or
something else.

For  example,  when  I  provide  lymphedema tx. I am NOT providing OT.
Instead,  I am doing something to the patient to help control symptoms
of  a disease. Conversely, when I provide OT, I am doing something FOR
the patient to help them better do what they want.

For me, it's all about goals. Goals define the direction, progress and
final  outcome  of  treatment.  If  the  goal  is  improving  a stated
occupation,  then  in  my  mind it's OT. If the goal is anything else,
then it's OT doing something - lymphedema in my case.

Thanks,

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT