From: otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com] On
Behalf Of Ron Carson
Sent: August 24, 2009 4:43 AM
To: OTlist
Subject: [OTlist] I'm Going to do UE Stuff...

I evaluated a patient on Saturday with multiple medical issues including
MD.
He  has  difficulty  with  dressing,  bathing,  toileting,  etc  because
of
bi-lateral shoulder weakness.

I  would  address  his shoulder strength but PT is already doing that.
So, I
will work on adaptive dressing strategies, etc. However, the patient is
VERY
mechanical  but  has  great difficulty picking up small items because of
the
MD.  He  specifically  said he has great trouble with his zipper, even
after
modifying it.

During  the  eval,  he told me that he needs something to brace his
thumb so
that  he  can  use  a  finger grasp for small items. Immediately, I told
him
about a thumb spica splint. He was excited about the idea.

This  is  the  1st  patient  on home health that I've worked with where
fine
motor  control was a primary concern. It's going to be challenging
because I
haven't made a splint in many years...

Ron

~~~