The August 31, 2009 edition of "Advance for OT Practitioners" has an article
on  OT  and  home  health.  I must say, I hate the pictures of the OT in the
article.  There  are 4 pictures of the OT working with a home health patient
who has had a CVA; 3 of the 4 pictures show the OT doing upper extremity ROM
and/or exercises for this patient.

The  article  states  that  the OT practitioner transfers the patient to the
w/c. The patient's daughter states that before her mom's stroke, the patient
was  very  active;  walking  to  the  store,  going to the senior center and
playing bingo.

The  article cites a CMS study reporting improvements in home care patients.
NONE of these improvement are directly related to UE function. Also, CMS has
a  study of outcome measures that most home health companies target. The top
10 are:

Acute Care Hospitalization
Improvement in Management of Oral Medications
Any Emergent Care
Improvement in Pain Interfering with Activity
Improvement in Ambulation/Locomotion
Improvement in Dyspnea
Improvement in Transferring
Improvement in Status of Surgical Wounds
Improvement in Urinary Incontinence
Improvement in Bathing

Again,  none  of  these  are  directly  related to UE function. And VERY few
patients  are  on  home  health  because  of  only UE dysfunction. That VAST
majority  of  home  health  patients  are  home  bound and unsafe because of
mobility related issues.

And yet, the OT in this advance article appears to be focusing her treatment
on  a  w/c  bound  patient's  upper  extremity.  Is it any wonder that OT is
misunderstood?  Is  it  any wonder that no one knows what we do? Does anyone
see the elephant in the room?

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT