Hi,

I have been reverse proxying otrs since version 3 behind an apache proxy.
We are currently on otrs 5, but i expect similar configurations will still
work on 6.  And this is for Apache, not nginx, but I am including in case
it is helpful.

<VirtualHost *:443>
    SSLEngine on
    SSLProtocol all -SSLv2
    SSLCipherSuite DEFAULT:!EXP:!SSLv2:!DES:!IDEA:!SEED:+3DES
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/companyname.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/private/companyname.key
    ServerName tickets.companyname.com
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    RedirectMatch ^/$ https://tickets.companyname.com/otrs/index.pl
    ProxyPass /otrs-web/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs-web/
    ProxyPassReverse /otrs-web/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs-web/
    ProxyPass /otrs/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs/
    ProxyPassReverse /otrs/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs/
</VirtualHost>

1.1.1.1 would be the lan IP of your otrs server, and tickets.companyname.com
would be the public domain name.

In my experience you run into issues if you try to completely get rid of
the /otrs/ part of the path, as you need a way to differentiate between
/otrs-web/ and /otrs/

but you can rename it with your proxy.  Here is a configuration we are
using to serve up the public interface of OTRS (specifically the survey
module)

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName support.companyname.com
    ProxyPreserveHost On
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^/survey/([A-Fa-f0-9]+)/?$
/public/?Action=PublicSurvey;PublicSurveyKey=$1 [P,L]
    ProxyPass /otrs-web/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs-web/
    ProxyPassReverse /otrs-web/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs-web/
    ProxyPass /public/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs/public.pl
    ProxyPassReverse /public/ http://1.1.1.1/otrs/public.pl
    SetOutputFilter INFLATE;SUBSTITUTE;DEFLATE
    Substitute "s| action=\"/otrs/public.pl\"| action=\"#\"|i"
    Substitute "s| Baselink: \"/otrs/public.pl\?\"| Baselink:
\"/public/?\"|i"
    Substitute "s| CGIHandle: \"/otrs/public.pl\"| CGIHandle:
\"/public/\"|i"
</VirtualHost>

This configuration replaces the /otrs/public.pl path with a new /public/
path, effectively hiding the fact that we are running OTRS.

Regards,
David Hess