Resolved it myself.
For the record, I just needed that for customers, so I changed the actual
MD5 crypt in
Kernel/System/CustomerAuth/DB.pm
and
Kernel/System/CustomerUser/DB.pm
(its just one line)
from
$CryptedPw = unix_md5_crypt( $Pw, $Login );
$CryptedPw = md5_hex($Pw);

(also added, use Digest::MD5 qw(md5_hex);).

If anyone thinks I've missed something, let me know.

-sv