Exactly this. It (virtual machines) also makes cloning the production instance
for upgrades ( especially major updates ) which is a LOT safer. If we can over
time move ALL the configuration stuff into the database, it'll be even more
handy. VMware ESXi is plenty good enough for this application, even standalone
without vCenter.

Also, with Microsoft making hyper-v easily available, you don't have the
argument about virtualization costs, and you don't have to have the 'must run
on windows' argument either -- look, the machine boots windows.... :)

I still prefer VMware, but, if the choice is hyperv or no virtualization, I'll
live with hyperv.

In any case, you'll be a lot happier if you at least separate the database from
the application. Lots less weird interactions.

On Feb 7, 2014, at 3:57 PM, "Marty Hillman"