On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 06:35:43PM -0500, Lance Richardson wrote:
> Add support for SSL connections to OVN northbound and/or
> southbound databases.
>
> To improve security, the NB and SB ovsdb daemons no longer
> have open ptcp connections by default.  This is a change in
> behavior from previous versions, users wishing to use TCP
> connections to the NB/SB daemons can either request that
> a passive TCP connection be used via ovn-ctl command-line
> options (e.g. via OVN_CTL_OPTS/OVN_NORTHD_OPTS in startup
> scripts):
>
>     --db-sb-create-remote=yes
>     --db-nb-create-remote=yes

Thanks for writing this, and for rebasing.

I don't yet understand the design choices for the --db-?b-create-remote
options.  The names seem odd to me, since these options are particularly
about adding insecure remotes, and so I would expect the names to say
something about "legacy" or "insecure".  I'm also puzzled why these
options, which I'd expect to be supplied time after time to ovn-ctl if
they are necessary at all, make a stateful database change.  I would
have guessed, instead, that they add another --remote option to daemon
invocations.

Can you help me understand better?

Thanks,

Ben.