<I've limited my reply to ovs-dev to avoid mailing list cross-talk>

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 9:04 PM Sam <batmanu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on ovs tests, and I want to add my test, so I have few
> questions:
>
> 1. what testing frame work does ovs-tests use, as I have seen lots of *.at
> file, lots of AT_*() macro.

OVS uses GNU AutoTest. You can read more about it here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.68/html_node/Using-Autotest.html#Using-Autotest

> 2. Will ovs-tests start ovs-vswitchd or ovsdb-server when running test by
> `make check` command? As if no vswitchd started, how to test it?

Autotest assumes nothing about the environment when it starts. Each test
(or test group) will start ovs-vswitchd and ovsdb-server if necessary. In
your follow-up e-mail, you point out a section where the OVS_VSWITCHD_START
m4 macro is used. That particular macro starts up vswitchd and
ovsdb-server. There are other macros that perform other useful tasks as
well. I recommend that you browse the tests/ directory

> 3. Also there are *.py files, how it works?

Autotest is a series of shell scripts, so they can call out to other
programs if necessary. Some tests will call into python, perl, or C
programs in order to perform their work.