c-ares has an API to retrieve the set of socket descriptors that need to
be monitored for readability/writability, so integration shouldn't be much
work. A socket creation callback function can be registered as well, not
sure if it would be needed but it's nice that it's there. Looks like a
fairly active project with some contributors I recognize.