Hello,

We are students trying to extend OVS in the Linux environment for our
research works.  We have primitive understandings of OVS after reading the
documents.  However, we are uncertain whether we are on the adequate
track.  The new features of our design and our speculated starting points
are

1)
Feature
Collecting statistics (e.g. total bytes transferred) at each switch port.

Speculated starting point
netdev_linux_get_stats() in lib/netdev-linux.c

2)
Feature
Post processing statistics collected in (1).

Speculated starting point
lib/dpif-netlink.c
Adding our algorithm.

3)
Feature
In-band exchange of processed statistics in (2) between OVSs.

Speculated starting point
lib/dpif-netlink.c
We still do not know how to inject our own control packets into datapath.
Do we have to trace how OVS processes the "PACKET_OUT" OpenFlow message?

4)
Feature
Good performance comparable to original OVS.

Speculated starting point
lib/dpif-netlink.c and datapath/datapath.c
Customizing existing dpif to call only kernel-level functions in datapath/
to achieve (1), (2), and (3).

Please give your valuable suggestions and comments.

Many thanks in advance!