Yes, the tag option works also on dpdk ports in the same way as for non-dpdk
interfaces.

It basically just associates the received untagged packet with the specified
VLAN tag inside the OVS bridge. If the packet is sent out on another port with
the same tag, it is sent out untagged. Only if it sent out on a port with VLAN
trunking, the tag would actually be pushed to the packet.

Regards, Jan