> > The bond of openvswitch has not good performance.
>
> Any examples?

For example, balance-tcp bond mode for L34 load sharing still requires a
recirculation after dp_hash.

I believe that it would definitely be interesting to compare bond performance
between DPDK bonding and OVS bonding with DPDK datapath for various bond modes
and traffic patterns.

Another interesting performance metric would be link failover times and packet
drop (at link down and link up) in static and dynamic (LACP) bond
configurations. That is an area where we have repeatedly seen problems with OVS
bonding.

> > In some
> > cases we would recommend that you use Linux bonds instead
> > of Open vSwitch bonds. In userspace datapath, we wants use
> > bond to improve bandwidth. The DPDK has implemented it as lib.
>
> You could use OVS bonding for userspace datapath and it has
> good performance, especially after TX batching patch-set.
>
> DPDK bonding has a variety of limitations like the requirement
> to call rte_eth_tx_burst and rte_eth_rx_burst with intervals
> period of less than 100ms for link aggregation modes.
> OVS could not assure that.

A periodic dummy tx burst every 100 ms is something that could easily be added
to dpif-netdev PMD for bonded dpdk netdevs.

> > These patches base DPDK bond to implement the dpdk-bond
> > device as a vswitchd interface.
> >
> > If users set the interface options with multi-pci or device names
> > with ',' as a separator, we try to parse it as dpdk-bond args.
> > For example, set an interface as:
> >
> >     ovs-vsctl add-port br0 dpdk0 -- \
> >         set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk \
> >
> > And now these patch support to set bond mode, such as round
> > robin, active_backup and balance and so on. Later some features
> > of bond will be supported.
>
> Hmm, but you're already have ability to add any virtual dpdk device
> including bond devices like this:
>
>     ovs-vsctl add-port br0 bond0 -- \
>         set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk \

> So, what is the profit of this patch-set?

Thanks for the pointer. That is a valid question.

I guess special handling like periodic dummy tx burst might have to be enabled
based on dpdk-devargs bond configuration.

BR, Jan