On 12/07/2018 17:07, Ian Stokes wrote:
> On 7/12/2018 4:40 PM, Lam, Tiago wrote:

>>> Hi Tiago,
>>>
>>> with this patch I still don't see mbuf.data_len == mbuf.buf_len -
>>> mbuf.data_off to be true.
>>>
>>> I've tested with both Jumbo frames and non jumbo packets by examining
>>> the mbufs on both tx and rx. mbuf.data_len is always smaller than
>>> mbuf.buf_len - mbuf.data_off.
>>>
>>> Maybe I've missed something here?
>>>

>> Thanks for looking into this, Ian.
>>
>> `mbuf.data_len == mbuf.buf_len - mbuf.data_off` isn't always true.
>> Actually, `mbuf.data_len <= mbuf.buf_len - mbuf.data_off` would be a
>> better representation.
>>
>> If there's a chain of mbufs that are linked together, the expectation is
>> that `mbuf.data_len == mbuf.buf_len - mbuf.data_off` holds true for all
>> of them, except maybe for the last in the chain, since there may not be
>> enough data to fill the whole mbuf.
>>
>> So, for non jumbo frames I would expect `data_len < mbuf_len -
>> data_off`, but for jumbo frames I'd expect that to happen only on the
>> last mbuf in the chain, and in the rest we should see `data_len ==
>> mbuf_len - data_off` hold true. Is that what you're seeing here?
>>

> I had tested this with jumbo frames (MTU 9000) with just this patch
> applied, in that case I was seeing 'data_len < mbuf_len - data_off'.
>
> Is this because its 1 mbuf for the entire 9000, if it was segmented then
> the segments would be equal besides the final mbuf.
>
> Ian

Ah, yes. If you had just this patch applied then you wouldn't have
multi-segment mbufs enabled (as that only comes in patch 11/14). In
which case the mbufs are still being resized to fit the entire packet
(and most likely the data you're sending < 9000B, hence why the
`data_len < buf_len - data_off`).

In other words, this patch doesn't change any functionality, as mbufs
are still resized to hold the maximum MTU set.

Tiago.