On 2019-07-02 2:23 PM, Roi Dayan wrote:
>>> Regarding deprecation, I'd like to remove all the functionality from
>>> ovs-dpctl
>>> utility keeping only ability to remove system datapaths, since this, IMHO,
>>> is the only useful function.

>>> Yes, and this is documented.
>> I missed the documentation but bisected to find the offending commit. I
>> think it's better to deprecate as you suggested above, maybe with some
>> message to refer users to the documentation.
> was added when u try to use the type arg.
>
> # ovs-dpctl dump-flows type=tc
> ovs-dpctl: Invalid argument 'type'. Use 'ovs-appctl dpctl/dump-flows' instead.
>
> just output the msg all the time would have been annoying.

Hi Ilya,

I didn't understand at first what Eli intended but I do now.
Eli suggest ovs-dpctl will always output a deprecation notice
to use ovs-appctl instead. so all users will see it and start
migrating to ovs-appctl.  Is that accepted ?

can be in any ovs-dpctl or specific ones like dump-flows but
not only if type arg used but always.

Thanks,
Roi