On 9/23/22 18:18, Han Zhou wrote:
> [...]
> variables
>>> in the real use cases, right? Otherwise, creating backends value for
> each
>>> chassis sounds not helpful for the scale. So, if I understand correctly,
>>> what we would do is:

>>> backends>" tcp \

>>> bound:
>>>>

>> It can be that we need to use backends as variables too.  In the worst
>> case, we still probably end up using less resources than with explicit
>> load balancers.  But yes, very likely in a lot of cases with ovn-k8s
>> deployments we'll be able to define load balancers like you did above.

> 2, 3
>>> resides on different nodes, so the "vip" var is instantiated to the
>>> chassis-specific value. So this effectively binds the LB VIP to chassis
>>> without explicit "chassis" column. Did I understand the magic correctly?
>>
>> That's the idea, yes.

>>> string will be directly used as match condition incorporated to related
>>> logical flows, right? One problem though, is that for DGPs,
>>> is_chassis_resident needs to evaluate the CR port "cr-xxx", which is
>>> internally constructed by OVN, and is not exposed to CMS. Once the
>>> implementation changes, the predicate wouldn't work.
>>
>> True.  I was thinking of using the logical router port of the GW router
>> in ovn-k8s though.

>>> should help me understand the concept before going to the review :)
>>>>

>>> Sorry, one more point. With the "chassis" column, it is easy for
>>> conditional monitoring, considering that only a small number of values
> are
>>> useful for a specific chassis. The predicate alone wouldn't tell this
>>
>> This is a very good point.  Conditional monitoring will be
> hard/impossible.
>>
>>> information. If we go with the predicate approach, I think it may be
>>> helpful to add another column to tell the datapath information (in NB,
> use
>>> LS/LR), so that it can be converted to DP in SB and be conditionally
>>> monitored (reusing the existing ovn-controller "local datapath"
> mechanism).
>>> It can be "any", to indicate something that applies to multiple/all
> DPs, if
>>> useful for the future use cases.
>>
>> I wonder if this is not too complex.  Maybe we should just go to the
>> "chassis" column approach instead.  To argue against chassis not being a
>> NB OVN entity, we already have NB tables that refer to chassis:
>> HA_Chassis_Group, HA_Chassis, Gateway_Chassis.
>>
> I am not too worried about the chassis not being a NB entity either. I
> think it is more of a tradeoff between flexibility and simplicity. The
> predicate approach can support something not related to chassis, such as:
> "instantiate the backends to value abc for ip.src == xxx". Maybe it is not
> a meaningful example, and I am not really sure if it is something useful in
> the future at all. So, just my 2 cents - for the purpose of this series, if

We can't allow expressions that use packet fields as matches.  We don't
have a packet to look at when we evaluate the template variable predicate.

So, at least for the moment, the only real expression we can evaluate is
"is_chassis_resident(port)".  This is slightly more expressive than just
"chassis == <value>".  If a logical switch port "migrates" to a new
chassis then using such a predicate would allow us to also "migrate"
other things, e.g., a load balancer.

On the other hand, in ovn-kubernetes (for now the only potential user of
templates), LSPs never "migrate".  PODs are immutable and if they need
to "migrate" they're recreated (along with a new LSP) on a different
chassis.

> we don't want to make it too complex, maybe "chassis" is a better option.

I think that's fine for what we need today.  It also avoids ambiguity,
e.g., what if we have two template variable instances (same name but
different values) whose predicates both evaluate to "true" on the local
chassis?

> If in the future we do need more flexibility, we can still introduce the
> predicate, although we may also need to take care of the backward
> compatibility/upgrade, if that's not too bad. Of course maybe I am
> short-sighted. I'd like to hear if anyone comes up with some realistic use
> cases that require the flexible approach, and then we will need to figure
> out a way for cond-monitoring.

I'll wait another day and then post a series using the simplified,
chassis based version.

Thanks,
Dumitru