On 7/3/23 10:45, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 04:55:25PM +0200, Simon Horman wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAICT, not all drivers moved to a REPRESENTED_PORT action.
>>> I don't see support in NFP driver, for example.
>>>
>>> Are we OK with dropping hardware offload support for NFP ?
>>
>> With my Corigine hat on:
>>
>> I would think the answer is no.
>>
>>> Or are there plans to support this new action in that driver?
>>>
>>> Simon, maybe you have some visibility on that?
>>
>> Let me check with the team.
>
> Hi Ilya, Ivan, all,
>
> I checked with the team at Corigine.
>
> They don't see any problem with updating the NFP PMD to use
> REPRESENTED_PORT instead of PORT_ID. And I think we can assume that work
> will happen in a timely manner. But there is a question about how to make
> the transition.
>
> My understanding is that from a Corigine perspective, it would be best if
> OvS could add support for REPRESENTED_PORT and then later remove support
> for PORT_ID.

We could, in theory, probe the driver by trying to create dummy rte_flow
rules.  But that sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

If Corigine team can commit to update the driver before 23.11 release,
we can switch OVS to REPRESENTED_PORT while moving to 23.11.

All the current DPDK drivers that support REPRESENTED_PORT do support
PORT_ID as well, AFAICT, except for ICE driver.  But nobody complained
about non-working offload with ICE, so there is no point trading it
for NFP right now.

If we make the change while moving to 23.11 we'll hopefully not need to
drop support for any driver.  And we'll gain support for ICE then.

Thoughts?

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.