Eelco Chaudron, Oct 25, 2023 at 14:56:
On 25 Oct 2023, at 13:52, jm...@redhat.com wrote:

> From: Jakob Meng <c...@jakobmeng.de>
>
> A patch created with 'git format-patch' can contain trailing spaces.
> When editing a patch, e.g. to fix a typo in the title, the trailing
> spaces should not be removed. This becomes tricky when editors like
> Kate identify a space followed by form feed as a trailing space and
> remove both. This will result in a broken patch which cannot be applied
> cleanly. Although this case should likely be considered a editor bug,
> keeping trailing spaces in a patch is the right thing to do and also
> helps mitigating these kinds of editor bugs.
>
> Fixes: 07f6d6a0cb51 ("Add editorconfig file.")

This looks good to me, however as you mention this is more of an editor configuration issue. It looks like leaving out any default value will cause the editor to use its configured value.

Acked-by: Eelco Chaudron <echau...@redhat.com>

It seems OK as well. But another safer option would have been to move the trim_trailing_whitespace = true option in specific sections. Or completely remove it since it will be caught by checkpatch.

What do you think?