On 2/5/24 11:58, Dumitru Ceara wrote:
> On 2/5/24 11:34, Ilya Maximets wrote:

>>> Thanks for reporting this, Ilya!

>>> I agree, we shouldn't release 24.03.0 unless these two issues are
>>> (sufficiently) addressed.  We do have until March 1st (official release
>>> date) to do that or to revert any patches that cause regressions.

>> Yeah.  In this cluster-density 500node test, dp_refcnt_use() allocates
>> 120 M references and puts them into hash maps.  That alone takes several
>> GB of memory.  And it is a largest consumer according to massif.
>> It takes ~45% of total memory allocations.  Another ~25% are taken by hash
>> maps where the refcounts are stored.
>>
>> There is a simple optimization that can be made - not allocate refcounts
>> if it is the first time we're trying to add them.  The original bitmap
>> should be enough.  And if we try to use it again while it is already in
>> a bitmap, then allocate.  That saves a lot of space, because 80% of all
>> refcounts in that test never used more than once.  However, it might not
>> be enough.  Needs testing.  Ideally the whole structure needs to go or
>> be replaced by something different.  Frequent iterations over the bitmaps
>> and per-datapath*per-lflow memory allocations do not scale.  Even if we
>> can make it work reasonably well for 500 nodes, it will cause problems on
>> higher scale.
>>

> Isn't this in a way related to the question "does it make sense to fall
> back to a form of recompute at a certain scale"?

I'm not sure that question is relevant here.  We do want I-P to work at
high scale here.  So far the recompute is slow, so we want to avoid it,
and we also making it slower by adding more I-P-related code.

And this only applies to CPU usage.  The memory usage is more or less the
same regardless of the computations being done incrementally or not.