Yeah, that is an interesting take on the question!

It will also be interesting if someone can answer if we can use a virtual
function (in SR-IOV terms, or vNICS, commonly) as an interface to an OVS
bridge. The reason I ask this is:

I have currently added a virtual function interface to the ovs-bridge.

root@dsp-marcel-cepinp:/usr/src# ovs-vsctl show
d5f266fc-a6f1-448e-91c5-e6db8748f73f
    Bridge "br0"
        Port "*ens7*"
            Interface "ens7"
        Port "br0"
            Interface "br0"
                type: internal

I have also put in a rule for UDP..

ovs-ofctl add-flow br0  priority=1111,dl_type=0x0800*,nw_proto=17*
,nw_src=10.0.0.1,nw_dst=10.0.0.2,actions=

And every time I send a UDP datagram, I see that this rule is hit!, but the
packet is not dropped:

 cookie=0x0, duration=123.175s, table=0, *n_packets=14*, n_bytes=60,
idle_age=2, priority=1111*,udp,nw_src=10.0.0.1,nw_dst=10.0.0.2*
*actions=drop*

I wonder if this is because the interface *ens7 *is a virtual function
(vNIC).