I forgot to thank you for working on this.  Thanks!

ovs_instruction_name_from_type() takes an ovs_instruction_type, so its
result should be invariant of the OpenFlow version.

ofpact_is_apply_actions() is only used in one place, to encode
instructions, so it should be straightforward to update it.

But please keep in mind the big picture.  OVS tries to keep as much
compatibility as it can among the various OpenFlow versions it supports.
In this case, I guess this means that if a meter action is added via
OpenFlow 1.5, and then dumped in OpenFlow 1.4 or earlier, then it should
be translated to a meter instruction if it is in an appropriate position
for that, or to an extension action that we would define if it is not.