On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 06:04:16PM +0800, Hui Xiang wrote:
> Is the patch port output logistic within function apply_nested_clone_actions
> ? Sorry, I have not totally understood the whole picture on how a packet
> through
> the datapath flow on the case that goes from netdev datapath patch port_B
> to system datapath port_C. Is it such a procedure:
> When a packet arrives at patch port_B of netdev datapath br1, the xlate ctx
> switch to system datapath br2, and try to find a
> rule, the rule probably missed, but I didn't find where this rule should be
> preloaded, and why does it not work in this case.
>
> Coud you help to guide?

Patch port output happens in patch_port_output() in ofproto-dpif-xlate.c.

Patch ports are implemented entirely within a datapath.  Output to one
happens by simply doing a nested translation of the actions that would
happen at the other end of the patch port.  This can't really happen if
the packet would pass to another datapath entirely.  One could implement
some feature for hopping from one datapath to another.  We have not done
this because the value of the feature seems limited; most installations
of OVS use only a single datapath.

> In additions, does it work with veth connected netdev datapath with system
> datapath? It seems OVN will bridge the br-int with
> the external network having another bridge with patch port, in this case,
> if br-int is netdev, but external bridge is system,
> then it doesn't work as what I understand so far.

veths should be able to hop from one datapath to another, at least for
datapaths that support veths.