On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 11:57:22AM -0500, Fouad Hallal wrote:
> I have tested OVS patch ports functionality in a simple 3 bridges network
> by using Mininet custom topology.  I configured macro flows by cross
> connecting the different bridge ports.  Packets passed between the
> different bridges and I was able to confirm by inspecting OVS flows
> counters.
>
> I have been looking for documentation about OVS implementation of patch
> ports.  Specifically, I need to learn about the metadata that is passed
> between the different bridges as packets proceed from one bridge to
> another.  Is their a data structure (other than the skb) that is passed
> along?  Are the input ports and output ports values, that a given packet
> traversed for different bridges, kept around through the life of the
> packet?  Any pointers are much appreciated.

Traversing a patch port is supposed to be analogous to traversing a
veth.  The same fields should be preserved.  This is similar to
traversing a physical Ethernet cable from port to port, except that one
or two metadata fields should be preserved; skb_priority is the one that
comes to mind.

The input port isn't preserved; it changes to the patch port.

Output port isn't usually a field.