Hi,

I have question about RX merge feature.
Below mentions that set mrg_rxbuf=off can improve performance.  So question 1:
How much would it be affected for throughput?

*********************
Rx Mergeable
Buffers¶<http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/?highlight=mrg_rxbuf#rx-mergeable-buffers>

Rx mergeable buffers is a virtio feature that allows chaining of multiple
virtio descriptors to handle large packet sizes. Large packets are handled by
reserving and chaining multiple free descriptors together. Mergeable buffer
support is negotiated between the virtio driver and virtio device and is
supported by the DPDK vhost library. This behavior is supported and enabled by
default, however in the case where the user knows that rx mergeable buffers are
not needed i.e. jumbo frames are not needed, it can be forced off by adding
mrg_rxbuf=off to the QEMU command line options. By not reserving multiple
chains of descriptors it will make more individual virtio descriptors available
for rx to the guest using dpdkvhost ports and this can improve performance.

http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/dpdk/?highlight=mrg_rxbuf

It mentions mrg_rxbuf must be set to on in order to support Jumbo frames.

So question 2: I am wondering if I set mtu to 2000, should mrg_rxbuf be also a
MUST? Is there a threshold to switch the configuration?

Some additional configuration is needed to take advantage of jumbo frames with
vHost ports:
mergeable buffers must be enabled for vHost ports, as demonstrated in the QEMU
command line snippet below:”.