On 20 March 2018 at 13:48, Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:04:00PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 03:47:16PM -0400, Michael Ben-Ami via discuss
> wrote:
> > > We found that when we add a flow bundle of about 25MB of textual flows,
> > > ovs-ofctl ballooned in resident memory to around 563MB. Similarly for a
> > > bundle about half the size at 12.4MB, ovs-ofctl hit 285MB.
> >
> > I have a branch in my "reviews" repository that should fix this:
> >         https://github.com/blp/ovs-reviews/tree/memory
> >
> > It's not quite ready to post for formal review (the commit messages need
> > work and it probably leaks some memory), but if you have a minute to
> > test it out, please do consider it.
>
> I polished it up and sent it out for review:
>         https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/?serie
> s=34920

I tried this out and the preliminary results are impressive [1]: on a 1GB
machine I couldn't even get ovs-ofctl to run (not that I did expect it to
-- getting `ovs-ofctl: virtual memory exhausted` error). Switching to the
revised version I was able to push all flows in under a second and half.
This also work correctly against 2.7.3.

I'll give the actual patches a more thorough look over the next couple of
days, but in the meantime kudos!!

Cheers,
Armando

[1] http://paste.openstack.org/show/709439/