On 5/1/2018 6:53 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
Hi Greg.

We've had multiple reports now that Geneve kernel-based tunnels do not
work in Open vSwitch if IPv6 is not enabled.  Do you have an idea
whether we should consider this a bug in OVS or a bug in the
documentation?  That is, should we plan to fix it (when we can) or
should we plan to document that Geneve requires IPv6?  (Or is something
else going on?)

No rush.

Thanks,

Ben.

Sorry for the late response.  It is just how the Linux kernel is configured.  There was an internal bug filed a few months ago where I found that geneve depends on a certain kernel configuration that cannot be overridden and disabling ipv6 causes the check for the configuration to always fail.

The upshot is that there is no fix without making changes to the upstream Linux kernel.  It is a Linux kernel limitation and should probably be documented as you say, i.e. "Geneve requires ipv6".

Thanks,

- Greg