It turns out that the file /etc/init.d/openvswitch-switch has one of the
lines you mentioned, but not the other. When I added the one line it
worked.

_SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=yes # this line was present
SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=yes  # missing this line

I added the second line and it boots now without a long timeout!

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/