On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 11:15 AM Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 05:42:15PM -0700, Han Zhou wrote:

the
> > bottleneck.

> > lswitches
> > (and
> > same

> > restart. It
> > to be
> > NIC,
Considering
> > the
> > the
> > reasonable.

> > could
> > probably due
> > After
> > before
> > memory
DB to
> > be
> > received -
> > back to
> > snapshot.
> > for

> > transferred.

> > but not
> > bandwidth

> > Now when
> > version
> > still
> > the
> > as if

> > has

> > haven't
> > there can
> > completed 3 -
> > many
> > may

> > ovsdb-servers of
> > populated by
tree
> [...]
> > transaction data is gone), server can:
> > >     - Option1: return an error telling the client the version is not
> > available, and client can re-request the whole snapshot
> > >     - Option2: server directly send the whole snapshot, with a flag
> > indicating this is the whole snapshot instead of the delta
> > >
> > Option2 seems better.
> >
> > As to the OVSDB protocol change, since we need to add a version id to
every
> > update notification, it would be better to have a new method
> > "monitor_cond_since":
> >
> > "method": "monitor_cond_since"
> > "params": [<db-name>, <json-value>, <monitor-cond-requests>,
> > <latest_version_id>]
> > "id": <nonnull-json-value>
> >
> > <latest_version_id> is the version id that identifies the latest data
the
> > client already has. Everything else is same as "monitor_cond" method.
> >
> > The response object has the following members:
> > "result": [<found>, <latest_version_id>, <table-updates2>]
> > "error": null
> > "id": same "id" as request
> >
> > <found> is a boolean value that tells if the <latest_version_id>
requested
> > by client is found in history or not. If true, the data after that
version
> > up to current is sent. Otherwise, all data is sent.
> > <latest_version_id> is the version id that identifies the latest change
> > involved in this response, so that client can keep track.
> > Following changes will be notified to client using "update3" method:
> >
> > "method": "update3"
> > "params": [<json-value>, <latest_version_id>, <table-updates2>]
> > "id": null
> >
> > Similar as the response to "monitor_cond_since", <latest_version_id> is
> > added in the update3 method.
> >
> > > - Client will not destroy the old copy of data, unless the requested
> > version is not available and it has to reinitialize with the whole DB.
> > >
> > > This is less general than the Difference Digests approach, but I
think it
> > is sufficient and more relevant for OVSDB use case. I am sure there
will be
> > details need more consideration, e.g. OVSDB protocol update, caching in
> > server, etc., but do you think this is a right direction?
> >
> > Ben, please suggest if this is reasonable so that I could go ahead with
> > POC, or please let me know if you see obvious problems/pitfalls.
>
> I think that a lot of this analysis is on point.
>
> I'm pretty worried about the actual implementation.  The monitor code is
> already hard to understand.  I am not confident that there is a
> straightforward way to keep track of the last 100 transactions in a
> sensible way.  (Bear in mind that different clients may monitor
> different portions of the database.)  It might make sense to introduce
> a multiversioned data structure to keep track of the database
> content--maybe it would actually simplify some things.

I understand the concern about the complexity. Thinking more about it, the
problem is only about DB restart, so we don't really need to keep track of
the last N transactions all the time. We only need to have them available
within a short period after the initial DB read. When all the old clients
are reconnected and requested the difference, these data are useless, and
going forward, new clients won't need any previous transactions either. So
instead of always keeping track of last N and maintaining a sliding-window,
we just need the initial part, which can be generated by using the "fake
monitor" approach I mentioned before, and then each new real monitor
(created after clients reconnecting) just selectively copy the data with a
*timestamp* added to the data entry, so that we can free them after a
certain amount of time (e.g. 5 minutes). For the entries that are NOT
copied from the fake monitor, which means they are new transactions, they
can be freed any time their predecessors are freed. The "fake monitor"
itself will have a timestamp, too, so that it can be deleted after the
initial period. Would this simplify the problem? (or maybe my description
makes it sounds more complex :))

Could you explain a little more about the multiversioned data structure
idea? I am not sure I understand it correctly.

> If we do this, we need solid and thorough tests to ensure that it's
> reliable.  It might make sense to start by thinking through the tests,
> rather than the implementation.

Good point, I may start with tests first.