hi, thanks for the hints.
I would like to keep the original kernel module as well as it seems the stock kernel modules and the ones from the ovs source do not work completely the same.
If I do the make modules_install will i lose the basic kernel module (without doing some mumbo-jumbos, e.g., rename the kernel module in /lib/modules/...)?

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4
On Gregory Rose <gvrose8...@gmail.com>, 3 Jan 2019 5:51 pm wrote:

On 1/3/2019 6:32 AM, Levente Csikor wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to use OVS kernel module that can be compiled from the OVS
> source instead of the built-in openvswitch module provided by the
> kernel.
> Besides some certificate/signing issues (newer kernels do not allow
> inserting third-party modules if they are not signed by the vendor), I
> finally managed (with self-signed certificates) to load the compiled
> openvswitch.ko module located under OVS_SOURCE/datapath/linux/.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 18.04, linux kernel 4.15.0-32-generic with
> openvswitch-2.10.0 from source (2.9.x did not even compile on my
> system).
>
> Once the module is loaded via insmod, dmesg says it is loaded
> "correctly" (even the version is shown - when the stock kernel module
> is loaded via modprobe, no version information is shown):
> [ 2833.903781] openvswitch: Open vSwitch switching datapath 2.10.0

Did you run 'sudo make modules_install'?  You shouldn't have to use
insmod. The 'modprobe' utility should
load the correct kernel module.

> Then, I manually initialize and start OVS with the following commands
> (environment variables are pointing to the binaries in the OVS source
> directory):
>
> 1) sudo rm -rf /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db 2>&1
>
> 2) sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/
>
> 3) sudo $OVSDB_PATH/ovsdb-tool create
> /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db  $OVSVSWITCHD_PATH/vswitch.ovsschema
>
> 4) sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch
>
> 5) sudo $OVSDB_PATH/ovsdb-server --
> remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock --
> remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options --pidfile --detach
>
> 6) sudo $OVSUTILITIES_PATH/ovs-vsctl --no-wait init
>
> 7) export DB_SOCK=/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock
>
> 8) sudo $OVSVSWITCHD_PATH/ovs-vswitchd unix:$DB_SOCK --pidfile --detach
>
> After these command OVS is initialized and started (at least the
> vswitchd) and now I can create a bridge and add ports to it, etc.
> However, right after the last command (8), in the output of dmesg I
> have realized the following strange line:
>
> [ 2975.940723] openvswitch: Open vSwitch switching datapath
>
> Now, I am a bit confused :S
> Did ovs-vswitchd command automatically (re)load the kernel module
> provided by the stock kernel and replace my previous inserted module
> compiled from the OVS source?
>
> For debuggin, how can I check the info of the loaded module - I cannot
> find any useful tool/command for this?

Run 'cat /sys/module/openvswitch/version' and that should give you
output like this:

# cat /sys/module/openvswitch/version
2.10.1

- Greg