On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 13:35:07 -0700
Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:

> OVS currently can gracefully exit in two ways: either with or without
> deleting the datapath.  But, either way, it deletes all of the flows
> from the datapath before it exits.  That is due to commit e96a5c24e853
> ("upcall: Remove datapath flows when setting n-threads."), which was
> first released in OVS 2.1 back in 2014.
>
> This isn't usually a big deal.  However, some controller folks I'm
> talking to are concerned about upgrade.  If the datapath flows
> persisted after OVS exits, then existing network connections (and
> perhaps some that are "similar" to them because they match the same
> megaflows) could carry on while the upgrade was in progress.
>
> I am surprised that I have not heard complaints about this in the 5
> years that the behavior has been this way.  Does anyone have any
> stories to report about it now that I bring it up?  Contrariwise, if
> we changed OVS so that it did not delete datapath flows on exit, can
> anyone suggest what problems that might cause?

Well, I heard complains about updating OvS package causing a long
downtime in OSP environments mainly because all the flows needed to be
rebuilt at OSP side which was a slow process.

When a service is restarted, it is expected to come up with a "clean
and fresh state" and so far flows were seen as "temporary" data. In
order to provide the option to restore the flows, the following commit
was introduced to create a "reload" service:
  commit ea36b04688f37cf45b7c2304ce31f0d29f212d54