Hi,

After reading OVN upgrade documentation[1], my understanding is that the order
of upgrading components is pretty important to ensure controlplane & dataplane
stability. As I understand those are the upgrade steps:

1. upgrade and restart ovn-controller on every chassis
2. upgrade ovn-nb-db and ovn-sb-db and migrate database schema
3. upgrade ovn-northd as the last component

First, is schema upgrade is done by ovn-ctl somehow? It didn't upgrade schema
for me and I had to run "ovsdb-client migrate" command on both northbound and
southbound databases.

Second, in large deployments (250+ ovn-controllers) restarting ovn southbound
cluster nodes leads to complete failure of the southbound database in my
environment - once all ovn-controllers (and neutron-ovn-metadata-agents) start
reconnecting to the cluster, the load generated by them makes cluster lose
quorum, or even corrupt database on some nodes.

I'm running OVN 21.06 with ovsdb-server 2.14.0 - should I be upgrading to
2.15.x? I've also seen the new relay-based architecture introduced in 2.16.0
release but this seems be rather recent development and I'm worried about
stability (I've seen some report about crashes and high memory usage).

When running scale tests for ovn with kubernetes with hundreds of nodes, how
are cluster upgrades handled?

Regards,
Krzysztof

[1] https://docs.ovn.org/en/latest/intro/install/ovn-upgrades.html