On 5/16/24 19:51, Jim C wrote:
> Thanks Ilya. I think there are 2 things we are interested in:
> 1) If the crypto is done with a FIPS validated module
> 2) Are the crypto algorithms all FIPS approved
>
> For 2), I think we can choose the encryption algorithms we use in IPSec
> (Please correct me if I was wrong).
> For 1), do you have more information on that?

Maybe I also need to clarify that OVS itself doesn't perform any
crypto operations on traffic it forwards.  That is entirely handled
outside of OVS by Libreswan or StrongSwan in case of IPSec.

The only crypto operations OVS does are operations on SSL/TLS
connections that control ovs-vswitchd daemon and ovsdb-server.
These are performed fully by OpenSSL.  So, again, not OVS itself.
By default whatever algorithms are in the OpenSSL's default list
will be used.  You can choose a subset with --ssl-cyphers command
line argument or equivalent database configuration.  But I would
expect that compliant OpenSSL build will not contain non-compliant
algorithms.

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.