Strange... I don't have much experience with MacOS X, but it seems like
it should be done in some other way.

You are right, and the answer was in this very informative table http://www.fortran-2000.com/ArnaudRecipes/sharedlib.html The simple fix for me was using DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. In fact, a platform specific form of -rpath could still work, see table.

I now have a self-contained ready to run owhttpd/owserver application (468 KB zipped / 1.8MB installed). I've tested if on two OS 10.4 boxes, and will test on 10.2 and 10.3 in the next few days.

If you are interested in adding this package to your offerings at sourceforge let me know. Otherwise I may consider hosting it myself under your public domain & GPL (with respect for libusb's GPL as well).

Ross