([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Just a progress report:
> >
> > After extensive discussions with Evgeniy Polyakov, it looks like OWFS
> > will be able to use the linux kernel 1-wire drivers as a possible 1-wire
> > adapter source.

> Found mail archive with this discussion. I'm not subscribed so please
> Cc: me on replies.
>
> Couple of notes after archive reading:
>
> 1. w1 supports on-demans searching in the following way:
> search is performed on $w1_timeout interval basis, which is provided as
> module parameter. By manipulating w1_master_search sysfs file one can
> trigger to search or not on next $w1_timeout interval.

Ok. That would mean I could set $w1_timeout to e.g. 0s and disable it by
default. Whenever I want to search, I'll enable the sysfs file, then disable
again immediately. Right?

Searching onewire is a very time-consuming operation, that's why I like to
have it disabled or controlled by the application program. Otherwise we'll
get into naughty situation-dependent timing issues.

> 2. I plan to create demo code for netlink socket communication interface
> for w1 this week. This will completely eliminate any kind of races with
> multiple workers/reset and so on.

Fine. Thank you.

> 3. w1 has it's advantages due to it's in-kernel place:
>       * some processors (Freescale made) have w1 units which can not be
> accessed
> from userspace without in-kernel driver

Ok. Useful in any case.

>       * GPIO pins can not be accessed from userspace without in-kernel
>               driver (actually there is [1] generic GPIO framwork with w1
>               driver tested with pc3487x and natsemi sc1100, but work was
> frozen
>               due to lack of hardware)

I'm in doubt this is really useful - if the onewire protocol is done
completely in software, things would slow down a lot. It does not add too
much cost to add a DS2482 on the board, as I2C is available most of the time.

Ok, for a few onboard temperature sensors, this will be the best idea. No
discussion needed.

>       * w1 supports asynchronous notifications of new devices found,
>               which are multicasted for any process over netlink
>               socket interface.

How is it with the alarm state? Is asynchrous notification planned here, too?

Kind regards

        Jan Kandziora
--
You cannot kill time without injuring eternity.