> From: SourceForge.net <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:46 AM
> Subject: [Owfs-forums] [owfs - Help] Single i2c bus, but multiple
> DS2482-800
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Read and respond to this message at:
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=5152333
> By: hdetter
>
> I have to face the challenge to talk to 5 DS2482-800 on a single i2c bus.
> My
> understanding is that neither linux kernel drivers nor owf can handle this
> situation.
> I checked various sources to come to this statement. Am I right? Or is
> there
> a way around beside doing my own development?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Hans

Technically, you can set individual i2c addresses for the ds2482 (3 bits = 8
chips).
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS2482-800-DS2482S-800.pdf
1. I haven't tested this
2. I've read that a bug in the Maxim i2c implementation makes sharing the
i2c line fail in certain circumstances (search their archives).
3. you can specify the i2c address in the linux device name (/dev/i2c-xxx),
but again untested,
4. Why? Each 1-wire line can support hundreds of devices, and you want 40
lines?
5. OWFS doesn't mind lots of 1-wire busses (essentailly unlimited)
6. OWFS shouldn't mind multiple DS2482-800s (though untested).